We later revisited this game and reskinned it as a Christmas card called Snowing Stellas, featuring the card recipient’s cat and a snowy theme.
Rekindled has been released onto the DigiPen Game Gallery.
Rekindled is a game where you play as a fox leading the element of fire back to the Spirit of the Forest, in the hopes that it will heal the corrupted flora and fauna that inhabit the place.
The game plays as a 2D platformer with light stealth elements. This was the first game any of us had ever made in a custom-built engine, which we dubbed the For Lease Engine. Some very interesting tech went into the game, including using 2D meshes for all foreground graphics. This allowed us to scale our foreground art without losing fidelity.
I was the producer of the game, and I worked on physics, collision, raycasting, core engine architecture, menus, audio programming, and a lot more. The graded team that I was lucky to be a part of (Team For Lease) was amazing. Furthermore, Alex Beavin did great work on the background art, and Eric Bergman continued delivering new sound effects and background tracks up to the last minute.
Team For Lease:
- Jiangdi Gou
- Kaila Harris
- Christopher Hudson
- Andrew Langley
- Sean McGeer
- Sam Montanari
- Josh Painter
- Alex Beavin – Background Artist
- Eric Bergman – Sound Designer
Toy Battle Arena has been released onto the DigiPen Game Gallery.
Toy Battle Arena is a game wherein two players engage in local tactical competitive multiplayer on a randomized landscape. The special flair for the game came with a darkly humorous backstory involving sentient toys that battle for superiority.
Toy Battle Arena was created by Team MAB in DigiPen’s Zero Engine.
- Sean McGeer – Producer
- Vince-Davis Espino – Product Manager
- Daniel Ospina – Technical Director
- Maxwell Ritter – Lead Designer
- Alex Beavin – Artist
- Cody Hickman – Sound Designer
During my first semester at DigiPen Institute of Technology, I worked on several final projects.
The first was my GAM100 project, called “Better Living Through Chemicals.” Developed in the Zero Engine with two other students (our team was called Not A Team), I created the original idea and helped design and build the game. You can download it here (Windows executable).
The second was my final project in my Maya modelling class. I created a jail room and animated a camera moving through it. You can view this animation on YouTube.
I made a little utility to download all Imgur images and albums that a user has submitted to Reddit. I worked on it to learn Python and regex. My conclusion was that Python is fun and regex is fiddly but interesting.
You can download it on GitHub. It’s called rid.py (short for Reddit-Imgur Downloader).
Also, my friends and I are working on a chess game, the code for which can be seen on GitHub. It is going to be used to practice the basic design methodologies that we’re going to use for a group project, like careful documentation. We’re looking to expand this into a much more ambitious game.
I worked on two final projects this term. The first was a group project in my Object Oriented programming course. I did the frontend coding of Toys Are Yours. The second was a solo effort in my graphics course–I did what I often do, and made a game called HistoBreaker.
Toys Are Yours utilizes the calendar widget I posted here previously.
As a simple exercise in multiplayer in PHP, I created a Tic-Tac-Toe setup. The top row selects the virtual table to sit down at, the second row destroys session data for that table, and the other links are self-descriptive. This exposes everything to the users, but I got too lazy to write in how to handle a user leaving the game. Instead, the users can take care of it themselves. Not that I’m expecting this to be a big hit–it’s mainly me warming up for a collaboration with my friends.
This version is far superior to my previous Tic-Tac-Toe game–but that’s not saying much. It’s not particularly sophisticated, but it works.
The main concept is that Sudoku only needs some form of symbols to play, not necessarily numbers. This game allows one to upload and/or use a palette of images. It also has other features not seen in other online Sudoku games, like a checkpointing system.
This was our final project for my university game design course. The same team that worked on Pirates of Varuk worked on this game.
I mostly worked on editing the music and sound effects, as well as getting the particle effects to look gruesome and bloody (and fiery at times). I have to say, the Flint particle system is amazing.
Jason Cummer — Art/Programming
Aaron Konkin — Art/Programming/Sound
Sean McGeer — Programming/Sound/Trailer
I threw together a trailer because we were supposed to have a presentation and I panicked. Turns out the presentation was extremely optional, but I still think the trailer is kinda funny.
POST UPDATED to link to the new 1.1 version, which includes polishing and which was uploaded to Newgrounds as well as its original site.
I mainly worked on the music and sound effects, choosing all of the music and sound effects and remixing those that needed it for use in the game. I also worked on polishing the game and publishing it.
These are my Tic-Tac-Toe and Blackjack games I made for fun. I originally posted them on my other, more casual blog.
Compile with “java TTT.java” It’s really simple and kind of crude, but eh.
Compile with “java -jar Blackjack.jar” It’s incomplete, but I don’t know if I’ll bother improving it. Depends on if I end up doing anything more interesting instead.